The Etherian: Sunday, April 16th, 2017
Sunday the 16th (Coverage: 4.09.2017-4.16.2017)
AKASHA – Social Media Network
- Vitalik wearing a AKASHA T-shirt in his blockchain lecture in Moscow, Russia – photo evidence.
- Hopes to provide the tools to empower users not to see what they consider trolls through personalised settings, reputation system and trusted identities.
Augur – Prediction Market
BasicAttentionToken – Blockchain Based Digital Advertising
- Added slack this week to chat for BAT – ask any questions at their new slack channel.
- Post on reddit by BAT official seems to point at update ICO in the next few weeks.
Casper (Dev Channel) – Proof of Stake Protocol
Vitalik Buterin: the idea for login/logout is that there are many validators who will not be able to validate 24/7, but rather want the ability to “go to sleep” for some period of time. During this time they would not contribute to the total validator set.
Vitalik Buterin: I’d rather be as hobbyist-friendly as possible personally. ie. I want to able to validate with a bunch of my ether from my laptop whenever I’m online. It’s only a medium amount of added complexity as it turns out and it’s a powerful feature.
- Sequence numbers do not work for replay protection, they lead to “weird corner cases where an attacker equivocates.”
- On controlling the number of validators:
Vitalik Buterin: So, right now, validators do have to pay for gas for all the messages that they send and I have a pet theory that this may be all that is necessary to keep the number of validators under control.
- Casper Standup 01
- Paper reccomended by Loi–“Practical Synchronous Byzantine Consensus”
Vitalik Buterin: So, a few updates from my side. 1. finished implementing the version of the viper contract that uses bit masks, seems to work fine. Prepares take ~94k gas [editors note: down to 87k], there’s probably room for a bit of optimization there. Commits are ~84k gas[editors note: down to 79k].
- The Casper Github Repository has been created. =)
ChronoBank – Labour Hour Stable Coins
- Chronobank to partner with SONM: SONM ICO will accept Chronobank TIME tokens!
- Beta released to limited amount of users; will be available publicly “in a few days” No update on beta since that claim on April 9th. UPDATE: [Beta is Live](https://beta.ChronoBank.io)
- ChronoBank’s Slack has quite the contingent of users wondering when they will receive their blog bounties.
Colony – Decentralized Collaboration Network
- Colony Q2 Update
- Positive responses all-around at the idea of decentralized open collaboration
- Successful UX testing
- Beta candidates finalized
- One more round of product testing until closed Beta(!)
- Whitepaper May 4th
- Employee Options Pool
- Colony token tease
- New website forthcoming
Digix – Asset (Gold) Backed Tokens
Ethereum Name Service – Decentralized Name Service
- Latest update on bug bounty here.
- Token sale will initiate after bug bounty and cleanup is finished.
Etherplay – The Transparent Skill Game Platform
- “Investigating changes to our smart contract for lower gas cost.”
Ethlance – Decentralized Freelancing Platform (With 0% Fees)
- Got a graphics designer onboard. Welcome Ron!
- Work on the Whitepaper continues.
FirstBlood – Decentralized E-Sports Rewards Platform
- Blog Post: Welcome to the FirstBlood Alpha!
- FirstBlood opens alpha to first group of pre-sale participants!
auryn_macmillan: The pre-alpha highlighted some major UX issues. So in the short term, we’ve made a compromise on decentralisation in favour of making an amazing UX. But the goal in the medium-long term is to tend towards decentralisation as both our and ethereum’s technology matures.
- It will be a while before LoL makes it into the beta.
- The team plans on using Twitch as a major tool in its marketing strategy.
- The alpha will be opened up to the larger ‘early community’ shortly.
Giveth – Crowd-Funded Donation Dapp|
- New Interview with Griff Green here.
Griff Green: “Our decentralized team is expanding 3 new developers have joined the team. @jbaylina and I are nearly done with reworking our Vault contract, adding extra security features by pairing it with a Vault Controller. @adriamb and @daniphilia have integrated truffle, travis, solcover & codecov.io to our smart contract testing framework. We are able to see automatically if changes in the code are covered in tests or not. I think this will be the first project doing this with smart contracts. A small demo here: https://github.com/adriamb/vaultcontract. @jsteele has been attacking our MVP DApp, getting it ready for other open source projects to beta test receiving donations.”
Gnosis – Prediction Market
- The debate about the Gnosis Token Sale rages on.
- When asked why Gnosis gets to keep 95% of tokens if sale ends in first block:
@mkoeppelmann: “Very simple – we wanted to start with a price that is outside the scope of expectation. I reget we did not start at 99.99% to make this even more obvious”
- The Gnosis Model of Token Sale Responsibility
- Informal poll on Slack: “Do you like the current ICO structure?”
- Gnosis are working on a tool that will allow investors to place a transaction in advance. It will be interesting to see if the community will utilize this tool to actually game the system as intended.
- Blog post on Wiz emmision rate simulations coming soon.
Golem – Distributed Computing Power
ICONOMI – Digital Asset Management Platform
- Snkns answered a few questions on r/iconomi mostly about funding.
stijn36 “Whem platform is public, buybacks will happen everyday”.
MakerDAO – Stable Token and Decentralized Marketplace
- Simple Stable Coin SAI soon to be released in Alpha
- SAI (simple dai) is a CDP engine that supports a single collateral type and uses a special model for claiming the collateral which makes the system more simple and have higher liquidity, but also more reliant on the price feeds
- it uses an asset called SKR to represent claims to the collateral in the event of a global settlement (so it isnt like MKR at all)
- it will be possible to stop SAI at any time, in the event of a security issue or for other reasons, and then all SAI holders will be able to claim ETH directly at face value (unless the system is undercollateralized, in which case they get a haircut), and the leftover collateral goes to the CDP holders
- SKR is received when one deposits ETH into the system and can be used as collateral
- Planning a marketing push soon
MelonPort – “Blockchain Software for Asset Management”
Status – Mobile Ethereum OS
Swarm – Serverless Hosting, Incentivised P2P Storage/Content Distribution
- Status announced Swarm Light clients at EthDev meetup in the Netherlands putting a little pressure on the Swarm team to make it happen 🙂
- With the release of Geth 1.6:
- ability to upload and download entire directories via tarball streams in the HTTP interface enables dapps to work dirctly with directories (earlier only supported via command line)
- ability to mount a swarm manifest as a directory into your local filesystem via FUSE renders swarm a Dropbox backend
- various stability improvements and bugfixes
- ability to manipulate manifests via command line and create listings/sitemaps out of them
SingularDTV – Rights Management and Video On-Demand Portal
UjoMusic – Decentralized Music Platform
- Q1 Update
- Pivoting architecture to be more inclusive of peers (uPort and others) who share the vision for an open music industry.
- Drafting experimental designs in using tokenized models:
- fostering standards-compliant metadata (eg COALA IP)
- sharing said metadata (into IPFS/IPDB/Mediachain/Swarm)
- making sure to re-use and define what is valid metadata
- Exploring concepts such as continuous token models and curation communities with experiments rolling out soon!
uPort – Self-Sovereign Identity
Pelle Braendgaard: A few people asked about React Native support. If you’re experienced RN dev this unsupported gist should get you started. We are planning on turning it into a proper supported library soon.
- For devs: Keep in mind that uPort pays the gas fees for transactions done with your uPort identity.
Christian Lundkvist: Yes we are currently investigating private testnet support for some specific uses. Not clear at this point when it will be widely available.
Christian Lundkvist: Yes it [uPort] works right now in the mobile browser. Instead of showing you a qr code it will switch to the uport app and show you the transaction card.
- Sample uPort project that does simple attestations.
WeTrust – Trusted Lending Circles
- Big thanks to Evan Van Ness for featuring us in his weekly post, please give him a subscription to his weekly email newsletter. His weekly post is the most in-depth and informative look into the ethereum ecosystem you’re going to get. Here’s a link to his site: http://www.weekinethereum.com/
- A nod of appreciation to @3esmit for putting so much work into our internal Etherian participation token.
- Big thanks to Joe Urgo for featuring us in his daily post, The Dapp Daily. He just posted this excellent Ethereum Reading List For Prospective Dapp Developers
- Check out ethercast for a full list of dapps – http://dapps.ethercasts.com/
- ChaceHunter: Swarm, Status, Colony, WeTrust, ChronoBank, UjoMusic, Golem, MakerDAO
- truewavebreak: ICONOMI, Golem, Augur, AKASHA, MelonPort
- MrNebbiolo: uPort, Casper, FirstBlood, Digix
- PΞther: Ethlance, SingularDTV
- pablanopete: Brave (BasicAttentionToken), Giveth
- wighawag: Etherplay
Disclaimer: All information is taken from our volunteers at face value, if you have a complaint about one of our volunteers or one of our posts please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will investigate the matter.